Jonas Rantanen Breaks World Record Squat

Jonas Rantanen broke the squat world record for the all time heaviest squat on 10/8/11 at Bullfarm. He came out with a 575kg(1,265lb) squat, 390kg(858lb) bench press, and a 375kg(825lb) deadlift for a 1340kg(2948lb) total at a body weight of 140kgs(308lbs).

World Record Squat Video

More Training Videos

You can view all other bullfarm videos here.

18 comments… read them below or add one

Chelsea Purvis

That was not low at all! I have a friend named Jordan Schofield who can squat 900 pounds and goes down twice as low. He plans on breaking your record. Watch out! L

Jererry

Who’s your friend? You sound like you’re just blowing smoke at one of the strongest men in history, and I have no respect for that. Internet loser.

Nick

The strongest i’ve ever seen in my life is 790 lb. and he was screaming in pain and went lower than the guy in the video

Alfredo

I dont consider this a real squat,this guy squats raw probably 200 kilos less

Jererry

And you probably squat 150 pounds.

Anonymous

lol I’m the skinniest kid in our athletics

Chris williams

Squats are commonly performed to varying depths. Squatting below parallel qualifies a squat as deep while squatting above it qualifies as shallow. Some authorities caution against deep squats; though the forces on the ACL and PCL decrease at high flexion, compressive forces on the minisci and articular cartilages in the knee peak at these same high angles. A proper squat for world record regulation is a parallel squat, meaning the center of the thigh is even with the ground. It sure does look that way to me from the video.

Vince

Chris can’t possibly be any more right, any lower you aren’t driving up.

Anonymous

nope no good

Anonymous

He didn’t actually squat that. He should have at least made a 90 degree angle with his thigh and calf. I sure did not see that.

He's Good

At 1:14 his quads / thighs are exactly parallel with the floor. No more, no less. Economy of motion. This is a record and shows that he knows the exact movement to meet the requirement and break the record without wasted motion. Lots of experienced technique at play here.

Sure, you will see other lifters yelling, screaming, going far deeper than required to meet the definition of a squat. And?

tardnugget

As long as thighs are parallel, he is good. It still qualifies if your center of gravity is +/- 90°. Think think think

Kent Gardner

This kind of squat is why I prefer the dead-lift as a competition lift and test of actual strength. Except in the case of bizarre physiology (Lamar Gant, anyone?), there are very few corners to cut in the deadlift.

Regardless of the definition of a valid squat, watching this video I feel like the man is showcasing equipment and technique more than strength, which runs against the ethos of power lifting. His spotters are in physical contact with his body and take some weight off the lift, he is wearing a suit that does some of the lifting for him, and his depth and stance are such that the weight travels a very short distance.

Cheating in spirit, if not on paper, still seems like cheating to me, and depends on the integrity of the paper. Sadly, some power-lifting organizations have let these loopholes become institutionalized. Here’s to hoping this kind of squat goes the way of the clean and press.

alfred belsito

these so called power lifters are clowns today.they were bench shirts that put any were beetween 150 to 350 pounds on there natural bench.same thing with sqaut suits and wraps.im 49 years old been lifting since i was around 19 and always was known to be very strong in the the three lifts natural.the other day i daedlifted 315 for 31 reps no belt at 210 lbs and 48 years old.i dont wear a belt sqaut suit or wraps belt when i dead lift or sqaut and i sqaut very low always bench with a pause

alfred belsito

ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO SAY GET A GRIP GUYS NEXT THING THEY WILL ALLOW IS HAND WRAPS FOR THE DEADLIFT LOL LIKE I SAID CLOWNS.

alfred belsito

THE OTHER DAY I REVERSED GRIP BENCH PRESSED 275 FOR 6 REPS ALL WITH A PAUSE ON MY CHEST AND MY LEGS IN THE AIR CROSSED TOGETHER 3 SETS

William Paul

Way high. No lift. Inches of depth add or subtract many kilos.

Ben

I guess it was technically enough, but really there was minimal movement. And all the added support. I mean still impressive, but…